My friend Stephanie recently posted a note about an irrational fear on her blog so now I feel empowered to reveal my own new obsession: I can't take showers that last longer than 2 minutes anymore. On Thursday, I realized that I had officially gone off the deep end when I "heard a noise" (probably nonexistent) and immediately jumped to the conclusion that a criminal broke into the house to swipe our baby. Never mind the fact that we have 2 dogs who would have barked like crazy...and did I mention the alarm system? (I already said that it was irrational.)
So I raced into the bedroom (5 feet away) in all my soapy, soggy glory to find Elliott sleeping like a lamb, just the way I left him 3 minutes before. I managed to rinse off before I got a little panicky and had to come back out to check on him again. Sweet relief! I managed once again to win the race against the would-be criminal who was no doubt frantically trying to pick the lock while I showered. Guess I need to just start bringing Elliott into the bathroom with me. I'm hoping that I'll become a bit more sane as he gets older. 'Cause dried-on soap is pretty harsh for your skin. --Marilyn

6 comments:
Now. Don't you feel better that it's off your chest?
Sounds perfectly rational to me! I obsess over the tree in our front yard. I'm convinced that at any moment it's going to come crashing down on our house and land directly on Luke's crib. Hey, it could happen!
You won't be more sane. Liam is 5 months old and I am still terrified that while giving him a bath, I will somehow fall forward, hit my head on the side of the tub, be knocked out, and he will drown before I regain consciousness. And then there's the fear that I will lose my grip on the stroller while waiting to cross the street and it will go flying into traffic. Nope--you'll be crazy from here on out.
Oh wow Girl! I see you and Elliot are doing well! :) LOL!
Nothing irrational there, you're totally normal! I've always put the babies in the bathroom with me in their bouncy seat or at the door in their saucer. It gets tougher when they outgrow that stuff. Luckily Molly sits on the step in front of the tub while I shower, if she disappears for more than a minute I freak out!I can only imagine how tough it'll be with another baby in the house, I'll have to take my showers before Michael leaves for work!-Andrea
I love this post. Mine isn't baby-related, but sometimes I'm scared to cross the street when there's isn't a walk sign in case I trip and don't have time to get up before a car runs me over.
Post a Comment